Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What can AstroEQ do for me?  (Read 32 times)

ALPugh

• View Profile
What can AstroEQ do for me?
« on: March 21, 2021, 19:05:57 »

I recently joined this forum looking for info on how to improve my HEQ5.
So far, my only question has gone unanswered (must be at least 2 weeks now).

Perhaps I should rephrase my question....

I have an old HEQ5 synta mount. I want to  replace the gearing/and or steppers to give me less backlash/freeplay.
Everything is as tight as I can get it but P.E. is still unacceptable.

Will buying or building an astroEQ kit allow me to install different steppers/gears/belts  in order to achieve this?
Is there a more " guided how to "    for those who have no clue how this project works or how to get started?

Thanks!

Washy

• View Profile
Re: What can AstroEQ do for me?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 01:03:47 »

The simple answer is yes, you can drive any sensible combination with astroeq, I do, the configurator allows you to select the proper ratios. 

The question would be why, even the very first black HEQ5 mounts are quite brilliant given the price point - any mount using a worm drive is going to be susceptible to quite severe PE, but PE error correction is relegated to the past if you can use guiding, it's irrelevant - its a brilliant tool to hide less than optimal polar alignment and periodic error.

If you need perfection, 10+minute unguided subs, then you need a mount without a worm drive, I do have to say it's got to be a fairly short hop from now to mesu style friction drives, it's not that challenging in today's world, but those that need 10+ minutes unguided subs generally have mounts hugely bigger than HEQ5, usually 0.5M+ CDK type telescope mounts.

Washy

• View Profile
Re: What can AstroEQ do for me?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:08:22 »

To answer the rest of your question, see here...

https://www.astroeq.co.uk/tutorials.php?link=config